Monday, November 25, 2013

Chocolate, Salted Caramel Butter Cream Lego Cake

Lego cake 

Hello everyone..

It's been a while since the last I updated this blog.

I still bake. Bread is still my 1st love but today I would like to share with you this Lego Cake that I built for my son's 9th birthday.

I baked a simple 3 colours chocolate sponge layer cake with a "Caramel beurre salé" butter cream. Ahhh this is the killer..what's better then sugar, cream and butter..and more butter??  I was licking my spatula, wooden spoons and fingers at 11pm. That makes cleaning the dishes easier, I suppose?


Lego cake for a Lego fan

Caramel Beurre salé  buttercream (salted caramel buttercream)

200g            Sugar
15cl             Cream
50g              Salted butter (cold, small cubes)
A pinch of Salt


Method:

1. Pour all the sugar in a sauce pan on a medium heat. Do not stir with anything, if you do, you will end up getting rock sugar. Just let it melt slowly and swirl the pan gently time to time  so it melt evenly.

2. Once you get a nice amber colour syrup, pour in gently the cream all at once but away from the heat.

3. Bring the pan back on the heat, stir in your butter with a wooden spoon until well mixed and cook the mixture on a low heat until you get the consistency that you desire.

4. You can stop right here and store this in a jar as a caramel sauce or for spread on pancakes. Just warm it up a little in a microwave.

5. To make the butter cream, I use a spoon to incorporate a 100g of icing sugar and 100g of butter cubes, just so that I will not get icing sugar flying everywhere in the kitchen when I whisk it up with the electrical whisk.

6. Once the icing sugar and butter are well blended, add in the salted caramel mixture and whisk it with the electrical whisk until you get a very fluffy butter cream.

7. Store it in an airtight container and enjoy..




No comments:

Post a Comment